The mission of Kelly Middle School is to create an inclusive learning environment that challenges, prepares and empowers students to be contributing and compassionate citizens of the world.
We are committed to fostering lifelong learners who are prepared academically and socially for the transition to high school following the completion of three years of study at Kelly Middle School. Rigorous academic explorations tempered with socially responsible instructional practices will help students become contributors in our democratic society. Our teachers and administrators strive to educate the whole student by extending instruction from the core subject areas into PE, music, writing and second-language learning environments.
- Our teachers pride themselves on building strong student relationships with students to build on students’ strengths and to encourage the development of new skills and abilities
- All students receive daily instruction in the core areas of science, math, language arts and social studies; in addition, students gain knowledge in Spanish, writing instruction, band, and/or PE
- Our daily schedule allows teams of teachers to plan and deliver integrated, thematic units of study in the core areas; project-based learning and best practices inform our instruction
- Special programs available to all students include after-school enrichment, homework club, yearbook club, orchestra, Ganas, WEB Leaders and the adult mentor program
- Opportunities for students to gain knowledge and understanding of the world by participating in a range of school-wide projects focusing on social justice and cultural proficiency
School Improvement Goals:
- We are committed to an active, engaged learning community
- We develop and maintain structures and strategies for effective, focused and direct communication
- We are committed to professional development and continually assessing and addressing the needs of our students, parents and guardians, staff and community members
- We will provide an effective, dynamic schedule with programs that promote the academic, physical and social development of every student
- We strive to increase collaboration with students, parents and guardians, and staff
Kelly green and white
Japanese Immersion Program
The Eugene School District’s K–12 Japanese immersion program, the first of its kind in the United States, begins at Yujin Gakuen Japanese Immersion Elementary School and continues through Kelly Middle School and North Eugene High School. Yujin Gakuen Middle Level is a dynamic, exciting Japanese language immersion program that provides a continuing program for graduating Yujin Gakuen Elementary students, and other students with advanced Japanese ability, that helps them mature into fluent speakers of Japanese and internationally minded global citizens. Students entering the middle-level program who did not attend Yujin Gakuen Elementary must demonstrate an appropriate command of the language. Immersion students receive some of their lessons in Japanese, and have the opportunity to take part in the general Kelly program for their basic subjects. It is important that students continue advancing in Japanese throughout this phase of their schooling.
Highlights of the program include primary work in moving beyond passive listening skills to strong oral communication ability; opportunities for cultural exchange with students from Japan; emphasis on cooperation, good citizenship and self-discipline; work strengthening writing skills, including continued Kanji study; and extensive use of technology, including web design and digital media.
Spanish Immersion Program
The Eugene School District’s K–12 Spanish immersion program in the North Eugene region begins in the dual language immersion program at River Road/El Camino del Río Elementary School, continues through Kelly Middle School, and will soon expand to North Eugene High School. Students entering the middle-level program who did not attend a Spanish immersion elementary school must demonstrate an appropriate command of the language. Immersion students receive some of their lessons in Spanish, and are integrated in the general Kelly Middle School program for the remainder of their classes. It is important that students continue advancing in both Spanish and English throughout this phase of their schooling.