Kelly’s OBOB Information
The 2015-2016 books!
The Apothecary by Maile!Meloy
Centaur Rising by Jane!Yolen
Courage for Beginners by Karen Harrington
Dark Life by Kat Falls
Death by Toilet Paper by Donna Gephart
Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick
The Great Greene Heist by Varian! Johnson
The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart
The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner
Masterminds by Gordon!Korman
The Menagerie by Tui T. and Kari Sutherland
A Night Divided by Jennifer A. Nielsen
Stella by Starlight by Sharon M. Draper
Unfriended by Rachel Vail
The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann
Zombie Baseball Beatdown by Paolo Bacigalupi
What is the “Battle of the Books”?
- Oregon Battle of the Books is a statewide event that promotes good books, reading as a social activity, and fun!
- Participants will form teams composed of approximately 5 members with a teacher/staff/volunteer coach.
- Each team will prepare for the Battle by reading the Battle books, discussing them, and answering questions about them. (Not every member needs to read every book! You can divide and conquer!)
- “Mini-battles,” drawings, and incentives will be given as participants work toward their goals.
- Battles consist of two types of questions about the books.
- Teams compete in February, and the top two teams will battle in THE FINAL BATTLE in late February.
- Our top team wins the honor of competing at the regional and possibly state level. Fame awaits a hard-working team! The Regional Tournament is Saturday, March 5 at Willamette High School.
- All participants celebrate at the end of the Battle season with an exclusive Ice Cream Sundae party.
- Sign your team up in the Kelly office.
- Get readin’ and get battlin’!
- Each Battle will consist of 16 questions.
- The questions will be read by a moderator.
- Teams will have 15 seconds to ring in and answer each question.
- 5 points for each correct answer.
- 2 points deducted for an incorrect answer.
- If the first team misses the answer, the other team can pick up 3 points.
- “In which book” questions are answered with the book’s title and author.
- Content questions are answered with specific information from the designated book.
- Kelly Battles will take place in room 6 during lunch.
- A bracket of competing teams will be posted in the main hall in late January.
- Students can refer to the OBOB bookmark. No other notes, papers, or pencils are allowed.
Good Sportsmanship is the goal at all times! If you lose, it’s not the end of the world! If you win, enjoy your victory but don’t gloat! Support each other and have fun!