Kelly Week at a Glance Nov 23 – Nov 27
You can always check the Kelly Calendar on our website for upcoming events.
- Nov. 23 – A Day Advisory and P1, P2 and P3 (12:20-4:00)
- Teacher Office hours 9:15-10:45
- Nov. 24 – B Day Advisory and P4, P5 and P6 (12:20-4:00)
- Teacher Office hours 9:15-10:45
- Nov. 25 – Flex Day Asynchronous learning P1-6 (9:00-4:00)
- Teacher Office hours on Flex Day afternoon schedule in Teacher Canvas courses
- Nov. 26 – No School Thanksgiving Break
- Nov. 27 – No School Thanksgiving Break
A Message from the Principals
Our devoted educators strive to provide your students with the best instruction possible through our collective distance learning challenges this year at Kelly Middle School. We believe everyone will continue to make progress toward our goal to support social, emotional and academic growth for each and every student at our school this year.
Please take a look at our Student and Family Services Newsletter by opening this link. It will provide you with some introductions and resources that may be helpful to you or someone you know in our community.
We deeply appreciate your trust in us to build relationships with your students in order to enhance the skills, the abilities and the attitudes necessary to be successful in school and beyond. See the article below about our BEST program beginning again on December 1for another support opportunity for your students.
As this year continues, please let us know how we may be of service with regard to your students’ individual needs during Comprehensive Distance Learning.
John Wayland, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Sarah Prater, Assistant Principal email@example.com
BEST Program Begins Again
Kelly BEST program will begin on Tuesday, December 1st. We will operate on the following schedule to start: Tuesday and Thursday from 4:15-5:45 pm and Wednesday from: 2:24-4:45 pm.
Please use this link for online registration: Kelly BEST signup
We will begin with Community Building until Winter Break begins. Staff will plan standalone activities that will facilitate new folks joining, focusing on belonging and empowerment during these turbulent times. BEST staff will offer school-work support and help students build skills to encourage self-advocacy with school day teachers. Please REGISTER today if you are interested.
December 10 Papa’s Pizza Fundraiser for Kelly Middle School
Thanks to our wonderful parent group for hosting a PIZZA DAY at Papa’s Pizza on December 10. Please print this flyer and use it for pick up OR DELIVERY of a delicious Papa’s Pizza—GO PILOTS! Click Here for flyer
Free grab-and-go meals are available on weekdays at numerous locations to all students and youth 18 and younger. There is no income requirement or need to qualify. Students do not need to be present to receive a meal.
Thanksgiving meals for students:
- No sign up is necessary; this is a box in lieu of the normal student meals that we would send for Thurs-Sunday
- Thanksgiving student meal boxes will be delivered to homes already receiving meal boxes during that week (Mon-Wed before Thanksgiving)
- Sites already open for meal pickup will distribute student meal boxes with the typical Wednesday meal bag (Wed before Thanksgiving)
- Boxes are limited.
- If you would like to sign up for meal delivery please use this link (https://www.4j.lane.edu/communications/coronavirus/foodservice/)
Please remember to wear a mask when picking up meals to ensure the safety of all.
New sites open; they are open Monday-Friday whenever at least one school is open, and serving from 10:45-2:00
- North Eugene Region
- Howard Elementary School, 700 Howard Ave.
- River Road/El Camino del Río Elementary School, 120 West Hilliard Lane
- Madison Middle School, 875 Wilkes Drive
- Churchill Region
- Arts & Technology Academy, 1650 W. 22nd Ave.
- McCornack Elementary, 1968 Brittany St.
- Sheldon Region
- Cal Young Middle School, 2555 Gilham Road
- Holt Elementary School, 770 Calvin St.
- South Eugene Region
- Roosevelt Middle School, 500 East 24th Avenue
- Spencer Butte Middle School, 500 East 43rd Avenue
- ECCO, 200 N. Monroe St. (behind the district office)
Wednesday: Flex Day Student Activities—New Clubs
November 25 is another great opportunity for students to socialize with their peers. To access the Zoom links, students should visit the “Kelly Middle School Students” Canvas course. There, they will find a link to clubs and activities:
Flex Day–Wednesdays at 2:30 PM
Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA): Hosted by Mr. Everett
Art Club: Hosted by Ms. Harshbarger
Book Club: Hosted by Ms. Emrick, Ms. Birmingham, Ms. Bisby, and Ms. Mora
Native American Student Union: Hosted by Joe Brainard
8th Grade Pilot Leaders: Hosted by Mr. Miller and Mr. Kordon
Homework Club: Hosted by Ms. Cruzen and Mr. Hook
Orchestra continues November 25
Orchestra returns on Flex days from 2:45-3:45. If you are already a strings player and would like to participate this year, please email our Orchestra teacher Lauralie Kallinen at firstname.lastname@example.org
She will communicate with you and let you know how to access the course. Upcoming Flex days are November 25; December 2 and 16.
Canvas Support for Families
The best way to monitor and to support student engagement and learning is to become an ‘Observer’ in your students’ Canvas courses. Please use the links below to assist you to navigate in Canvas as “Observers” in our learning management system. This can serve as an important parent-student-school connection routine. This will also be an important opportunity to monitor and to support student engagements, learning, and progress this year during Trimester 1 Comprehensive Distance Learning model.
Wraparound Program Opportunity
4J Wraparound Program offers support for all students and families and is a great resource.
Please see attached flyer here. Maria Covernali joined our district this year and is ready to provide assistance and support for students and families.
At Kelly, we use a unifying framework to help guide the work we do with students. We want ALL students to be able to demonstrate these concepts before moving to high school. We have captured these concepts in the following acronym that also dovetails with our aeronautic history.
P = PERSEVERE
I = IMAGINE
L = LEARN
O = OWN
T = TEAM
S = SUPPORT
Our teachers will address these concepts in advisory as well as throughout their curriculum when helping students grow into contributing and compassionate citizens of the world. We invite you
to use the same words and concepts when working with your students at home and in the community.
Eugene Public Library Cards Available for All Students
Eugene Public Library is now offering free library cards for all students in Eugene 4J and Bethel public schools regardless of whether they live within City limits. A library card can be the key to a world of educational resources and support. Click here for more information.